Interested in a cure for seizures? Here's where you can immediately help.

Feel free to share any of these posts. There are no copyrights on any of them, they are for anyone, anyplace, anytime for whatever reason. All of my love, from a man who just simply misses his son, and believes in the decency of people around the world,

Mike
**To reach the author of this blog Mike, the best email account is a silly one, but goes right to my phone. Technology is so cool. Its toiletoctopus@gmail.com. Thank you for reading this blog, and its been such a good project, in that it has helped others and me as well. May you all live life to the fullest, we have no idea when it shall be our last "dance."

With much love, I am proud of the Angelman Syndrome Foundation. If you can help them, and families with this condition, please consider donating to them at www.angelman.org. They are on Charity Navigator, and have done a phenomenal job over the years, on the awareness and research side.

Monday, May 23, 2011

An Angel Hug Means the World to a Grieving Father



This past weekend I attended the D.C. area Angelman Walk in Columbia, Maryland, and it was such a beautiful day. That song from U2 was played over the stereo speakers, and this is the second year in a row that I've been without my son Tommy. He passed away from a Angelman Syndrome related seizure on November 4th, 2009, and as Coach Tony Dungy so eloquently described, "I'm still grieving." The night before there were a lot of tears, and as I pulled up to the event, they poured out once again. We each have a burden to wear, a cross to bear, and it was with trepidation that marked the start of this event. I saw a lot of angels, and their smiles and laughter reminded me of Tommy. Yet what really made me smile, and cry at the same time, was a hug from Angel Jenna.

If you do not believe in the power of a innocent hug, from a little girl like Jenna, my heart feels sorrow for you. At the end of the event, I got numerous hugs from her, played high five, and she even made that silly "Native American" wo wo wo wo noise, with her hand above her mouth. She made me just grin, and it was so powerful. Every bit of sadness just went out the window, and I cannot properly put into words, how happy those hugs made me feel. It was food for the soul, and a spiritual experience, that reminds me of God's love for all human beings. Those moments were special, and a reminder of the love Tommy had in his heart, while showing everyone what is really important in life. That is the simple joys of a powerful hug, that tugs at your heart strings, and reminds you to carry on. We face adversity each and everyday, as soon as the alarm clock wakes us up, but this moment was a sweet ending to a great day.

I would like to thank Jenna's family, which is a loving group, and their dancing and singing skills made the Angelman Walk a real hit. Yet what I am most thankful for, are those few minutes with Jenna. I have faith in God, that one day, when I've hopefully passed the century mark, that I will see Tommy again. Everyday I think about him, and while I am saddened by his passing, I am inspired to stand strong, as he did his entire life. Right now I have tears streaming down my face, yet I also am wearing a smile, because Jenna brought a whole bunch of positive energy from those hugs and high fives. If you haven't been to an Angelman Syndrome event, or have met an angel, go out there and get a hug. You'll see what I'm writing here, as its a spiritual event that reminds you of the love of God, because even though we go through trials and tribulations, a hug from an angel helps you endure them. God bless you Jenna, and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment