Interested in a cure for seizures? Here's where you can immediately help.

Feel free to share any of these posts. There are no copyrights on any of them, they are for anyone, anyplace, anytime for whatever reason. All of my love, from a man who just simply misses his son, and believes in the decency of people around the world,

Mike
**To reach the author of this blog Mike, the best email account is a silly one, but goes right to my phone. Technology is so cool. Its toiletoctopus@gmail.com. Thank you for reading this blog, and its been such a good project, in that it has helped others and me as well. May you all live life to the fullest, we have no idea when it shall be our last "dance."

With much love, I am proud of the Angelman Syndrome Foundation. If you can help them, and families with this condition, please consider donating to them at www.angelman.org. They are on Charity Navigator, and have done a phenomenal job over the years, on the awareness and research side.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Hug Your Kids, Tell Them You Love Them


Tonight, my two year old boy is acting up. That's right, he might be on Ebay with an opening bid of "We'll pay you to take him if here in twenty minutes." We've all been in this situation as parents, where there are times that we wish, "couldn't John or Susie just go the heck away for awhile? Can't they just behave? I never did that!" Your baloney-o-meter arrow just went all the way to the right on that, as we have all driven our parents or loved ones "crazy" at one point or another during our lives. I am thankful for my parents, whom were not my best friends growing up, but parents, for teaching me the values of honesty and loving an even difficult person.

Right now, that would include my two year old son, who's a real handful. Yet I am thankful for him, and will be even more thankful when he's a bit more "laid back" and not so "full of vinegar." I make no bones about it, that I am much more sentimental than I used to be. Every day I would just wake up, go through the motions of a day, and then just like everyone else, go to bed to start the process all over again. Now, often its full of walks in the woods, quiet periods of reflection by a nearby lake, or even just long country drives to the middle of nowhere. Sometimes a quiet prayer is said. Other times its a bit more loud. Rarely does it not happen, but sometimes that is the case.

My chronological age might be thirty five, but I feel as if I've have lived a million lifetimes. It has not made me any wiser, but I do believe that going through the loss of a child, has caused me to be much more reflective about life.  I meant what I said the night of Tommy's memorial service, "Hug your children," and continue to do so, for the very reason that we have no control over our child or our lives glass of sand emptying. Yet we can hug our children, even if we are tempted to sell them on ebay. Its a way of letting them know that you love them, that you are there for them, and will do the best that you can to provide for them. Yes, they may not have a huge house, or a trip on a luxury liner everyday, or that damn Lego set that costs a car note, but they will have your love.

You cannot put a price on that. Studies have proven that children of stable environments, regardless of whether there is one parent or two, do much better academically and socially if they feel loved. What does that mean, "feel loved?" Its simple. They know that a parent or responsible adult cares for their well being, would do everything within their reasonable power to help them, and shall guide them on the correct path of life. Its as simple as that. All of the late night walks, prayers in a car on top of a valley, that's what I've come up with. Could it be wrong? Certainly. Yet I believe, just as I did that night of Tommy's service, when family and friends came together, to celebrate his life, that hugging your children is the most important act a parent or loved one can do. It speaks volumes, more than words can ever convey. Don't go to bed angry at each other, and by all means give your boy or girl a hug tonight. Do it for them and do it for yourself, because no one knows but God what tomorrow will bring. Tonight my two year old boy will get a hug, because I love him, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment