Interested in a cure for seizures? Here's where you can immediately help.

Feel free to share any of these posts. There are no copyrights on any of them, they are for anyone, anyplace, anytime for whatever reason. All of my love, from a man who just simply misses his son, and believes in the decency of people around the world,

Mike
**To reach the author of this blog Mike, the best email account is a silly one, but goes right to my phone. Technology is so cool. Its toiletoctopus@gmail.com. Thank you for reading this blog, and its been such a good project, in that it has helped others and me as well. May you all live life to the fullest, we have no idea when it shall be our last "dance."

With much love, I am proud of the Angelman Syndrome Foundation. If you can help them, and families with this condition, please consider donating to them at www.angelman.org. They are on Charity Navigator, and have done a phenomenal job over the years, on the awareness and research side.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Annandale, VA: Welcome Home






There are books such as "You Don't Want to Go to Church Anymore?", that have gained popularity over the years. This is because for a variety of reasons, the number of folks going to Churches and other places of worship have dropped substantially. It is not only in the United States, but rather an international phenomenon, as a recent poll showed that the amount of folks believing in a higher power among twenty somethings has dwindled from 83 to 68%. A lot of churches have an older contingent, a handful of those in their 30-50's, and almost no youth to be seen. As a simple man who has visited several congregations in a variety of roles, and from what Pastors have told me, there's no denying that this seems to be a common trend.

This past year I recently found a church that is home. That would be Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Annandale, Virginia. Its by no means a mega church, as there are only a few hundred people, but these are good folks who welcomed my family with open arms. "Come as You are," is exactly how it feels, and as soon as I met Pastor Gerry, I knew that I found someone I could trust. He has an ability to make church nonjudgmental, but at the same time, leave you with lessons of faith and life, that have a bearing on which direction you are going in. There are two worship services, for the early risers 8:30 a.m, and I tend to go to the 11 a.m. one, although I am looking forward to Wiggles. This is a church service for young children, where you are not allowed to shush them, but to allow them to experience a presentation just for them.

It has been an honor, to have met so many caring folks, and also to have learned so much from them. I cannot begin to explain how beautiful the services are. They are about an hour in length, but they are so peaceful, with the stained glass windows, Pastor Gerry's message, and music that I find to provide momentary bliss from the stresses of life in the big city. The focus of this church is Jesus Christ, and loving our neighbors. There have been tears, smiles, and laughter here, and the passion, I can just feel it in the air. Its electrifying, and a complete recharging of the batteries. At the same time, I am impressed by the church's ability to welcome new members. I was intimidated at first, just like anyone is, during that first service. Yet a kind man named Tim, who's family I love, brought me up front with his brood, and made me feel comfortable right away. If you are in the Northern Virginia area, I am more than happy to recommend Bethlehem Lutheran Church. For more information, feel free to visit http://www.blclife.org/.

No comments:

Post a Comment