Interested in a cure for seizures? Here's where you can immediately help.

Feel free to share any of these posts. There are no copyrights on any of them, they are for anyone, anyplace, anytime for whatever reason. All of my love, from a man who just simply misses his son, and believes in the decency of people around the world,

Mike
**To reach the author of this blog Mike, the best email account is a silly one, but goes right to my phone. Technology is so cool. Its toiletoctopus@gmail.com. Thank you for reading this blog, and its been such a good project, in that it has helped others and me as well. May you all live life to the fullest, we have no idea when it shall be our last "dance."

With much love, I am proud of the Angelman Syndrome Foundation. If you can help them, and families with this condition, please consider donating to them at www.angelman.org. They are on Charity Navigator, and have done a phenomenal job over the years, on the awareness and research side.

Friday, August 5, 2011

A Pickup Truck and the Amish-What Do They Have in Common?


This past January, I went out to start of my pickup truck parked in front of my house, due to having some errands to take care of. Upon walking up to it, I saw that the front driver's side was all smashed up, and a few colorful words were said. I was furious, and as I noticed no note with a person's information on it, I turned a shade of red brighter than the finish on the hood. For half an hour, I seethed with anger and hatred, wanting to beat to submission the individual who had the audacity to hit my car, and at least not have the courtesy to leave their insurance policy or a phone number to reach them at. The level of rage was so livid, that I waited a half hour, before I called my local police department to report the hit and run. Pieces of a motorcycle told me all I needed to know, and after taking my information, I called the insurance company to pay $250 for some inconsiderate worthless pond scum's responsibility, so that my vehicle could be repaired.

A few years ago, at an Amish School House near Lancaster, Pennsylvania, a disgruntled milkman went on a shooting rampage. He killed a number of little boys and girls, which devasted the tight knit community up there. As many know, the Amish do not use technology, ride horses with buggies attached to them, and are completely self-reliant. They had every right to be angry, furious at this man whom killed their babies, and then put the gun to his own temple and pulled the trigger. However, they did as Jesus commanded, which is to "turn the other cheek." As we all know, Jesus nailed to a cross, said "Forgive them Father, they know not what they do." This crazed man's family had a small funeral for him, where he was buried, and these Amish parents showed up to pray for him. They prayed for the family, and assisted his wife and children. If that is not what Christianity is about, then I do not know of any better example of it.

I wish I could be as good of a Christian as they are. Turning the other cheek, especially in such painful circumstances as they had to go through, is something that I cannot imagine. While I would no doubt feel sorry for the man's wife and family, as they had nothing to do with what their husband and father did, I know for a fact that I could not do as they had. They still continue to support this family. My pickup being hit was no big deal. Sure, throwing $250 dollars down hurt economically, but I never thought about that individual who hit my car other than hoping "he better have a really bad headache after running into it." Now looking in retrospect, I should have instead thought, "I hope he's okay", and just dealt with the trivial matter that it was. Perhaps his motorcyle was ruined so badly, that he couldn't go to work, and support his family. I will probably never find him, but if I do, I will inquire about his health now, instead of just rushing to anger.

Faith is a work in progress. None of us is perfect, and my getting angry over a object getting smashed, is nothing compared to the pain of finding out your child has been murdered in a vicious, cold hearted manner. Yet the Amish showed what faith is about, real Christian values, that I have to admit have made me realize that perhaps I should learn how to "turn the other cheek, no matter if wronged." Often I think about that scene in the "Passion of the Christ", where Jesus who had been beaten for days, and hung up on nails to that cross, and think why did he die for me and all of the troubled souls on Earth? True faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment