Interested in a cure for seizures? Here's where you can immediately help.

Feel free to share any of these posts. There are no copyrights on any of them, they are for anyone, anyplace, anytime for whatever reason. All of my love, from a man who just simply misses his son, and believes in the decency of people around the world,

Mike
**To reach the author of this blog Mike, the best email account is a silly one, but goes right to my phone. Technology is so cool. Its toiletoctopus@gmail.com. Thank you for reading this blog, and its been such a good project, in that it has helped others and me as well. May you all live life to the fullest, we have no idea when it shall be our last "dance."

With much love, I am proud of the Angelman Syndrome Foundation. If you can help them, and families with this condition, please consider donating to them at www.angelman.org. They are on Charity Navigator, and have done a phenomenal job over the years, on the awareness and research side.

Friday, December 12, 2014

Team Tommy: A Return to Running, Let's Help Angelman Syndrome Charities and a Good Cause



"You won't be able to run anymore." "You need a knee replaced, your running career is over." These were two comments from orthopedic surgeons, and even the one that I liked who repaired my LCL, believed that perhaps it was "time to hang up the cleats." It was such a joy running, having been out running half marathons, and meeting so many amazing people. There were easy courses where I could simply zone out to the music from the ipod, while others challenged every fiber of my being.

When I first in 2013 felt that pop in the fall, I thought "no big deal." Yet it was knee surgery #3, and I was told by the surgeon "Your knee still looks like s*it." There was some physical therapy, some work on various muscles, but I failed miserably. Not even able to run a half mile, nor allowed to enjoy a rainy night, that so many take for granted. 2014 was a terrible year, as I almost got literally hooked on vicodin's and other pain killers, and had to face a decision. Several doctors told me, "Its time to replace your knee, you might be able to run again, kind of." That wasn't very encouraging, but after a lot of research, I'd like to say a huge profound thanks to my former surgeon Dr. Samuel Hawken who's bedside manner is unique, and Dr. Fullbright and the staff at the Anderson Clinic. There's a reason Mount Vernon Hospital is known for its knee procedures. Those guys are great, and I'm happy to recommend them, as they were able to wean me off of pain killers, discover a prescription shot that works, and I have been ordered to run.

I'm not sure how far I'll run again, because at this point, per the doctor's advice I'm at a 10 mile limit. That's okay, as the time limits are no concern anymore. There won't be a sub 6:00 minute mile, or 7:30 mile times over a half marathon. Yet what there will be is resolve, a smile, and a new effort to raise money for Angelman Syndrome awareness and research. As most know this young boy was my son Tommy, who passed away in 2009 at age five, due to a seizure related to this condition. He is missed, as are many "angels" who've in the opinion of many, have gone on far too soon.

Tommy and the other angels who have passed on, are in the hearts of many. Countless families across the USA and around the world, understand what that empty space means, and how crushing it is to be without that smiling and laughing angel that could light up a room. With that in mind, while I don't think the inevitable "Go Fund Me" Page for Team Tommy, will make a lot of money the chances for outreach are unlimited. The proceeds raised will be in this percentage: 40% to FAST(Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics), 40% to the ASF (Angelman Syndrome Foundation), and 20% to the Maryland Recreation Park Association Tommy Ross Fund. This was set up by that commission in honor of my father's retirement, and helps families who have children with special needs, have a chance to enjoy recreational or therapeutic events that wouldn't be otherwise possible. Everyone knows the ASF and FAST are great, so the shirt has been ordered. Its bright red with the letters "Team Tommy," and will be worn with matching red Nike Fusion shoes. That was his favorite color, and it will be an honor to run in his memory, along with other angels who've been inspiring.

This is just the first post, and much work is to be done, yet it would be great if people could get this "shebang" started. That's right, I'm going to need your help, because let's see if we can come together, and raise money for two organizations that are directly confronting the horrors of Angelman Syndrome, along with a scholarship that provides families with relief. Let's do this. More to come, but the emergence of #TeamTommy is going to arrive 1/01/2015, and no matter what the temperature, let's turn up the heat :)


No comments:

Post a Comment